Extra Credit Reading: The Guilty Dogs

For my extra reading I decided to do Jatakas Tales! I particularly like the "Guilty Dogs" story. I like this story because it is a common thing to blame someone who actually did not do the crime. I thought it was pretty true that the King ordered for all of the dogs that were not royal to be killed. Especially since the dogs that actually did it was the royal dogs. I am glad in the story someone actually spoke up and asked the King if his orders were just to the dogs that were actually innocent. The dogs that actually did the crime ended up getting caught anyways. I am a firm believer of what is done in the dark always come to the light . I think that is the moral of the story in this case. Im many situations that we face, we could apply this moral to keep from doing things that we should not do.

Image info: Dogs


I really enjoyed the Jatakas Tales this semester. I did not know of them until I read them in this class and I wish there was a lot more of them or maybe I need to search harder!

Bibliography

Comments

  1. Hi Taylor, I saw your post here, and wanted to say there are about 500 jataka tales! Different books include different ones, but if you want to see them all, including the Buddha's own commentary about them, they are all listed here with little summaries and a link that takes you to an English translation of the story:
    JATAKA INDEX
    I am such a fan of the jataka tales too, and I am really glad you learned about them in this class! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Taylor! I am just finishing up in the Myth & Folklore class and ran into your post in the blog stream. The dog meme caught my eye. I think the Jatakas stories sound pretty interesting and I may get the chance to read them since I am taking Indian Epics next semester. I also think it is great that these stories have a moral similar to European fables.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction To a Future Pharmacists

Comment Wall

Week 4 Story, The Lion King