Story Telling: Kartikeya and Ganesha Race!

Hello, I am the great god shiva! I am the mountain mendicant! My wife Parvati is the mountain princess. I not sure what I would with out her. We have two beautiful sons names Ganesha and Kartikeya. Today just so happens to be a big day for the both of them! Kartikeya has been super energetic and excited about the race today. Ganesha however, has not seemed too worried about losing against his brother. They both are competing for the biggest mango in our country. A mango has spiritual significance in our religion. The mango represents prosperity and happiness. Which ever one of my sons win this race will be one of the happiest and successful person in our village. Every year the people of our village hosts this race for one family. This year we were lucky to be chosen.

The start of the race will begin when the sun is at the peak of the sky. My wife and I started to prepare our sons for the race. My wife prepared a healthy meal for us and we spent quality time together before the race. Kartikeya was going on and on about how he can not eat too much because he did not want the food to slow him down. Ganesha was not to concerned about the food slowing him down. He was not concerned about anything actually. The sun reached the peak of the sky and Judge announced the golden rule of the race. He yelled out, " To win the largest mango in our country we must deem you the better son. You will prove to us you are the better son by going around the world three times. Whoever, completes this first will be the winner and named the better son."mEveryone began cheering loudly and the Judge yelled, "On your mark, get ready, set, go!"  Kartikeya took off, fast as lightening and to our surprise Ganesha did not move. Kartikeya ran around the world twice wondering why his brother was not moving and playing with his toys. Ganesha then noticed his brother was on his last lap and decided to get up and run around me and my wife three times. When he finished his third lap he yelled out I win! Kartikeya was confused and said, " How so? you ran around our parents, not the world!" Ganesha replied, " Our parents is my world and that is what is more important. Our parents is more important." For that statement alone the Judge deemed him the better brother and he won the mango. I am such a proud father!



Image info: Large Mango


Authors Note: I enjoyed listening the story of Ganeshas secret. I was intrigues by the symbolism of the mango and decided to write my story behind it.Ganesha and Kartikeya  was put to the test to show who is the better son. I kept the plot mostly the same except I just added a background story to the race. Kartikeya did complete, going around he world three times before his brother but his brother went around their parents three times and yelled out I won. Ganesha went around their parents three times because he believed that their parents is his world. I thought that was a pretty neat way to think about their parents. Therefore, in my story I wanted him to definitely be the winner. 




Comments

  1. Wow! What a suck-up! Just joking, but i could definitely see how the other brother may find that a bit unfair haha. Nonetheless, i though it was a great idea to tell this story from the perspective of the father. It made it feel more personal and kinda added a bit of a lifelike touch to the writing. In addition to that it is far easier to see how the father reacts to all of this, so that is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed the twist in this story, as I'm always a fan of cute endings. I thought you told the story very well, keeping it interesting and building up just enough tension for the twist. I would recommend going back through the story and proofreading a bit, as some words are omitted from some sentences and the tenses are off in the second paragraph, but that is my only negative feedback! I loved the writing of this story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the second retelling of this story that I've read. They were both very different, but both very good. In the first story, nothing was specified about what made the mango special. I hadn't read the original, so I like that you included a little more information to point out why they were going to so much effort to win it. I like that Ganesha won by taking the lazy way out...actually, I think I like it BECAUSE he took the lazy way out. There's a lot to be said for a healthy degree of laziness!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction To a Future Pharmacists

Comment Wall

Week 4 Story, The Lion King